On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 10:29:12AM +0100, Steven Boardman wrote:

> You may get a slightly better performance by up sampling the 8khz to
> 44.1/48 before convolution with the hrtf.

If the upsampling is any good it will not produce any signal above
the original limit of 8 kHz. So this won't make any difference.

> In the post production world we sometimes use 'spectral recovery'
> algorithms like in Izotope RX, to regain high frequency content lost from
> remote recording sessions, with the likes of 'zoom'. This may get you a
> little closer still.

Unlikely. The 'recovered' HF content will not contain the original
elevation cues. The only way this could help is in case the bandlimited
signal appears elevated, adding some artificial HF may bring it back
to horizontal where it probably should be. But the original info is
lost anyway.

One way to recognise a signal as coming from an elevated source
could be to analyse the distribution of early reflections. But
I doubt very much if this would be a practical solution.

--
FA