On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 06:40:28PM +0800, Junfeng Li wrote:

> Do the early reflections contribute to elevation perception ?

Well, something which is probably not related to HRTF does.
Older people often have hearing limited to 8 kHz or even less,
but may still be able to perceive elevation in some way.

Early reflections (in a acoustically familiar environment) may
play a role. Also of course expectations - remember that human
perception is not objective, it is mostly based on a mental
reconstruction of a scene. We expect certain sounds to come
from above. Even cultural elements may play a role in how
certain sounds are perceived.

This is very well known in visual perception - for example people
who have never lived in a world in which straight lines and right
angles are everywhere are not sensitive to some visual illusions
based on perspective.

But what really puzzles me [1] is why a system that for whatever
reason is limited to an 8 kHz bandwidth is expected to provide
full 3D audio. It's just not realistic. You can't do a rock
concert with a one Watt amplifier. You can't transport a grand
piano on a bicycle.

[1] Or not. I've known my share of managers who believe that
business logic or ideology can bend the laws of physics or
mathematics...

Ciao,

--
FA