I believe in the old days ethanol was dried in the lab by the addition of a
piece of metallic sodium.

Kirk

-----Original Message-----
From: Ehren Bucholtz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 4:54 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Rock salt to dehydrate water-alcohol mixture

While I haven't fully tested this idea yet on my own, I have had some
observations.  In my lab I threw some "table salt" which is just
somewhat purer than rock salt, into some 95% ethanol, and came up with a
big gloppy mess.  Probably due to a couple of reasons. 1) salt by weight
only will absorb about 1/10th its weight in water before it starts to
dissolve in water,. 2) sodium chloride is slightly soluble in alcohol
anyway. BTW the alcohol solution also had a yellow hue probably due to
impurities in the salt.

I have yet to try this, but I will try to dry some 95% ethanol with
sodium sulfate, which is insoluble in ethanol.  Initial outlay in cost
of materials will be more expensive than rock salt, but all the sodium
sulfate is recoverable in the end anyway.

At any rate, a large amount of any salt that is insoluble in ethanol
would be required.  Lets say that sodium sulfate can absorb 1g of water
per 10g of this salt.  For 100 mL of 85% ethanol, 15 ml or 15 g would be
water.  That means that I need 150 g of sodium sulfate for my 100 mL
sample, or about a 1.5:1 w/v ratio of sodium sulfate to 85% ethanol.
The key is that we don't want the salt to start dissolving in water,
because it would then go into solution. Then we would have a real mess
as above, because ethanol and water are miscible probably bringing the
salt into solution with them.

So, for 30L of dry ethanol required to make 100L of biodiesel, I would
need ~35L of 85% ethanol.  For that 35L of wet ethanol I would need 52.5
kg of sodium sulfate.  The density of anhydrous sodium sulfate is ~2.5
g/mL so that works out to 21 L volume of sodium sulfate.  So I guess I
need a container that can hold 60L of volume and be able to filter/pump
off the liquid.

Of course this is all highly speculative untill I actually do any of
the experiments.  I may be completely wrong on this, but just going with
past experience dealing with drying other solvents.

If anyone else has some ideas about the chemistry, or has practical
experience on this please let me know what you think.

Ehren

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/29/02 03:32PM >>>
Is it really as simple as filling a barrel with rock salt, and
pouring the alcohol-water solution into the top, with almost pure
alcohol dribbling out the bottom?  Is some alcohol lost in the
process?

This is a great idea because a solar furnace can't control the
temperature well enough for distillation, but could easily be used to
dry rock salt!  I imaging one would simply set the solar furnace on
HOT to accomplish the task.  Am I correct?

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now