womplex_oo1 wrote:

>I just found out that dessicants like silica gel only work in humid
>air (because of their high surface area, low vapor pressure pores).

This is all in the archives, several times perhaps. You have several
steps to go still before you find a good way of removing the 5% of
the water content from 95% ethanol. For 15% ethanol, well. Keep
trying I guess.

>Osmosis would work to selectively separate water from ethanol.  The
>process uses a polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) membrane developed in Japan.
>The process consumes very little energy, requiring only a certain
>amount of pressure.
>
>i've also found a gov't website on the conversion of whole plants
>(leaves, stem, roots) into fermentable sugars for ethanol
>production.  Here it is...
>
>http://www.ott.doe.gov/biofuels/understanding_biomass.html

Not much there. I think I've given you this before:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#cellulose
Ethanol from cellulose

See especially "Wood-Ethanol Report: Technology Review", Environment
Canada 1999 -- good overview of the problem and the current solutions
on offer.
http://www.pyr.ec.gc.ca/ep/wet/section16.html

>It's an interesting read. Particularly important because starchy
>granules comprise a very small percentage of plant material, and so
>by throwing away plant fiber, we're wasting 99 percent of the
>potential chemical energy available in plants, and hence also 99
>percent of the solar energy that went into growing the plants in the
>first place:

Your idea of waste and nature's idea of waste are two different
things. What you call "waste" is returned to the soil to maintain the
organic matter content, essential for everything - soil fertility,
crop production, and the viability of the "soilfoodweb", the tons of
micro-organisms in an acre of soil that make plant growth possible.

So if you're going to take that away too and burn it in your car,
what will you substitute for it? Chemical fertilizers?

Maybe you'll deign to answer this time. You seldom respond to
questions people ask you here. It's a discussion group, you know.

Keith

>Component       Percent Dry Weight
>-----------------------------------
>Cellulose              40-60%
>Hemicellulose          20-40%
>Lignin                 10-25%
>

>Apparently Lignin is the hardest component to hydrolize into
>fermentable sugars, and the ability to do this is critical to making
>biomass ethanol a consumer product.  Something like a 10-fold
>reduction in the cost of lignin-to-sugar enzymes is required, and
>intense research is ongoing to try to achieve this.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM