Hello Brian

>Hmmm..
>
>One poorly substantiated Sarin shell is proof of a major WMD program
>in Iraq?  That's what I hear you saying.
>
>Please understand that I in no way have any intention to do so, but
>I am sure that I could produce and detonate a single Sarin shell
>here in Indiana.  Would that be proof to you that Saddam had gotten
>his WMDs into the US and was planning a major assault in the
>Midwest?  That seems to be where your logic leads.
>
>And, if the US was in the business of deposing all sociopaths in
>power, we would be awfully busy.  Why specifically pick on Saddam.
>If we thought he was that bad, why did we support him on his way up?
>
>I don't know who Christopher Hutchins is, but I am thinking that he
>would be close a frontrunner for the post of complete idiot in my
>book.

That's Hitchens (not Hitchins). He's not a complete idiot, he goes
about it quite intelligently. He likes espousing maverick views,
which is okay in itself, but his views have become more and more
warped. He has a long history of saying and writing very strange
things about Native Americans, for instance. In the 90s the Lewinsky
affair seems to have finally tipped him over to the far-right, and
these days he's widely known as a "charlatan" and a "sycophant". Just
a mouthpiece, too often, very much a pro-war mouthpiece and
apologist. For instance, his latest piece is about his pal Ahmad.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2101345/
Ahmad and Me - Defending Chalabi. By Christopher Hitchens
May 27, 2004

He does rather like defending the indefensible, but in the end it's
Hitchens himself who's indefensible. He's painted himself into too
many corners. His credibility has dwindled to a partisan few. Chris's
quote is fairly typical. No need to take any notice of Hitchens.

MM said:

> > > Actually, around the time of the start of the invasion of Iraq,
> > > Israeli Intelligence, I saw in one news report, stated that WMD
>or
> > > other weapons (I don't recall how it was put) were being moved to
> > > Syria.  I've never seen this mentioned before or since.

Syria and/or Iran. All jolly good pals of course, Saddam and Syria
and Iran. This gets trotted out quite often, even at quite a high
level, but nobody's ever offered any substantiation for it. It's as
insubstantial as the other, opposite, story, published twice now by
the Iran news agency, that the US has been secretly moving WMD of the
right vintage (they supplied them in the first place after all) into
hiding places inside Iraq, no doubt to be unearthed just in time for
the election. Who knows? There's no way of telling - as Gustl says,
sorting the wheat from the chaff is a very tough job, and you don't
get a lot of help, quite the opposite. The people whose job it is
also don't get a lot of help, quite the opposite - investigative
journalism takes time and money, which is not forthcoming, and it's
actively discouraged by the half-dozen-odd mega-corps which now own
the US media. Not exactly a surprise, considering at whose door more
than a few such investigations would likely end up.

Anyway, the administration itself no longer claims that WMDs real or
mythical had much to do with anything. Wolfowitz actually denied it.
No accountability of course - that only applies to those who fail to
toe the line, and then it's not so much accountability as sheer
vindictiveness. So all the liars are still in their jobs, wrists
unslapped - yesterday's news, not the current movie anymore, duly
erased from the hard-disks of all true-believers.

You want WMDs? Plenty of WMDs, bombs, deadly chemical weapons,
everything a terrorist fanatic could want. Trouble is they were in
Texas.

"Since his appointment as attorney general, John Ashcroft's
Washington office has issued 2,295 news releases. Not one of them has
mentioned the name William Joseph Krar. Krar's ... arrest by federal
law enforcement in the small town of Noonday, Texas, last April may
have stopped the most devastating terror attack on U.S. soil since
Sept. 11... Is there a double standard at Justice between the public
pronouncements over arrests that fit our current stereotype of
terrorists and those that don't?"
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040311-030156-8181r
United Press International: Outside View: Who is William Krar?

"Americans have been trained to disassociate such attacks from the
war on terrorism... And because our domestic haters tend to be
Christian rather than Muslim, they don't fit the "terrorist" mold...
in the wake of 9/11, we have tended to discount the danger of
domestic terror. That may be a deadly mistake."
http://www.inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=617_0_3_0_C
Homegrown Terrorists
2.17.04

As for the so-called "war on terrorism"... As a French diplomat
observed, "Monsieur bin Laden must be tres content." I'll bet - tres
relaxed too I should think, not much call on him to do much these
days, Washington does it all for him.

Best

Keith