Somehow, I doubt the wolves posess much danger to the elk and deer populations long term, as they evolved together.  They weren't a "problem" for thousands and thousands of years.  Putting domestic animals that were relatively easy to kill, and that we "owned" in place of the native game was when the problem began.  It's sort of like leaving all your food out on the ground in bear country, and then claiming the bears are the problem.  We've compounded it by reducing habitat for the wild game, so the wolves learn to eat other prey that they normally wouldn't.  It a classic case of overpopulation of an atypical food species, which is usually kept in check by an increase in predators that can eat them, but normally don't.  It's just rather uncomfortable to find that we and our livestock are the food species in this equation, instead of some hapless field mice or such.

That being said, I don't relish being eaten, so I think that killing wolves that learn that humans are potential prey would probably be a good idea.  Long term, it's not going to solve anything since we've caused the situation.  But long term, it wouldnt be good for wolves to learn that humans are prey, even after they have their native game back.