On Mar 16, 8:43 pm, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM, asmeurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Great!  Is there anything that I should do before the 18th when the
> > mentoring organizations are accepted (assuming you get to reply by
>
> You can get involved more with the sympy project, more below.
>
> > then :) ).

I guess you will be replying before then!

> Yes, you will be writing an application. Search archives of this list
> to find examples of applications from 2008 and 2007.

OK, I will do that.

> There are lots of things that you can do with your level of math that
> are very needed. For example code generation to C needs improvements
> and testing.

This is one of the ones I glossed over because I didn't know what it
was.  Could you explain what this means.

> Or just search through our issues:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list
>
> and easy to fix issues:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list?q=label:EasyToFix
>
> to get an idea which areas of sympy need improvements.

I will look there too.

> Yes, we do. We also require each applicant to post at least one patch
> to sympy, that gets reviewed and accepted, so that we can see that you
> will be able to learn how to contribute.
>
> I suggest you pick some differential equation that sympy cannot solve
> and send us a patch fixing it (you will have to do it anyway). That
> way you will see first hand how much work it is and then you can
> estimate how much time you need for the whole project.

I think that I could try Bernoulli for a start, since it is can be
solved generally much like linear can be (see the sympy code for
linear equations to see what I am talking about).  Hopefully I can
figure out the matcher and solver functions.
However, as you could probably tell from the classes I am taking
(those in addition to my computer science class), I will have limited
time to work on sympy before the summer time.  Nonetheless, I will try
to do some of what you have said.

> As to the project, I suggest you pick some algorithm (that could be
> used to solve lots of differential equations) that you could implement
> and test. One example is variation of constants:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_variation_of_parameters
>
> And there are others. Then you would build your project around such
> algorithm, e.g. it would be the core part of it and you would make
> sure it works and then implement some special cases.
>
> Another approach is to go through your differential equations textbook
> and think what algorithms you need to implement to be able to solve
> all equations.

I will have to think about this.  As I have said, I am only half way
through the class, but from what I can tell, most of what I have yet
to learn requires transformations (which according to your ideas list
aren't implemented yet), are numerical solution techniques, or relate
to solving systems of differential equations (I think I should focus
on solving just one differential equation, since it hardly makes since
to try solving systems if the engine cannot even solve single
equations anyway).

By the way, if you are interested, this is the website of my ODE
class:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jstarret/TeachingSpring2009/335/335Spring2009.html

My professor teaches the class in Maple.  There is also a link to the
textbook that I own there too.