Hi,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 09:25:46AM -0700, Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
> What about the algorithms listed at
> http://wiki.sympy.org/wiki/GSoC2010Ideas#Detailed_Ideas?
> Are they still valid, or have some of these been implemented already?  Are
> there other good
> ones not listed?  Also, I am not sure what the prerequisites would be for
> implementing some
> of these.
>
> Mateusz, or anybody?

most of them are valid and some only semi-valid:

1. Multivariate polynomials and factorization

  Done in principle be could be better, as stated in the text.

2. Univariate polynomials over algebraic domains

  Work in progress in polys5.

3. Assumptions, formal logics etc.

  Partially done last year but needs significant improvements.

And a few comments (assuming bold ones are important):

1. Integrate our experimental Cython core into SymPy

  NO, first do it the right way in pure Python.

2. Add support for solving inequalities, and ...

  This should be top priority this year. However, the problem
  itself is huge and requires a lot of work, mostly because
  one will need to implement cylindrical algebraic decomposition.
  If this will be done then it will be possible to implement
  reasoning algorithms in R^n, quantifier elimination ...

3. Improve the series expansion

  Would be cool, clean up the mess, make it fast, implement
  other types of series.

I will update and expand the detailed ideas list in spare time.

--
Mateusz