On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
>> Am 21.11.2011 20:27, schrieb Aaron Meurer:
>>>
>>> For now, let's just gather the translated documents, until we figure
>>> out the best way to deliver them (e.g., do not consider delivery as
>>> part of completion for these tasks, only translation).  So, for
>>> example, if they have a good translation in a fork on GitHub, or even
>>> just upload it to the task, that will be sufficient for now.
>>
>> For now, I think git will be fine.
>>
>> We should have a terminology repository though. A text file on github would
>> do just fine.
>> The overall structure that worked well in the times when I worked as a
>> professional translator was an entry per term:
>>
>> A terminology file could look like this:

The purpose of this file is to unify terminology for the given
language. So in my case Czech, there are usually multiple ways to
translate the given English technical term (that we use in sympy).
Having a unified terminology (the file above), then the translation
will be consistent if different people translate different parts of
the document. Also, at least in Czech, many times there simply doesn't
exist an "official" name for some technical terms, that were invented
only in English. In our case, things like "assumptions system", name
of classes like Rational (we should not rename any classes, but there
needs to be a translation so that users who don't speak English
understand why the class is named the way it is). "Pretty printing" is
another example (currently I have no idea how to translate this to
Czech so that it sounds good). And so on, there will be many such
cases.

Ondrej