Hi,

We already agreed in the issue to allow to use systemwide version of
mpmath, preferably by adding a simple switch to setup.py, while using
our version of mpmath if the switch is not given. Patches would be
appreciated. :)

I vote yes to this.

As far as physically removing sympy.mpmath, is the issue its size?
The sympy/ dir on my computer has 15M, sympy/mpmath has 1.9M. So the
size of mpmath can hardly be a reason.

That being said, if projects like binstar (https://binstar.org/),
which was announced *yesterday*, take off and allow easy
installation on all platforms (including Windows...), we can revisit
this. Clearly, the issue of distribution of packages has not been
fixed *today*. As such, I vote no to physically removing sympy.mpmath
today, and I vote for keeping the extra 1.9M in our repository. Note
that it compresses extremely well (0.44M as tgz on my machine). If
there is any argument why this extra little space is a problem, I
would like to hear it. Note that we are in great company, as packages
like VTK also ship their little dependencies (alglib    expat
ftgl   jpeg      libxml2  oggtheora  TclTk  verdict  zlib
Cosmo     freerange  gl2ps  jsoncpp   mrmpi    png        tiff   VPIC
exodusII  freetype   hdf5   libproj4  netcdf   sqlite     utf8
xdmf2), and allow to use systemwide using cmake options.
VTK has 140M, and their ThirdParty lib has 54M, so that's 38%. In our
case the percentage is 12%, so we are even doing better.

Ondrej