On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Sergey B Kirpichev
<skirpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:20:29PM -0500, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
>> As far as physically removing sympy.mpmath, is the issue its size?
>> The sympy/ dir on my computer has 15M, sympy/mpmath has 1.9M. So the
>> size of mpmath can hardly be a reason.
>
> Not the size, of course.  The reasons to drop this bundled library is
> exactly the reasons why people prefer to use external libraries
> instead of bundled copies.  Independent (security) updates for
> library, prevent forking, etc.
>
>> That being said, if projects like binstar (https://binstar.org/),
>> which was announced *yesterday*, take off and allow easy
>> installation on all platforms (including Windows...), we can revisit
>> this. Clearly, the issue of distribution of packages has not been
>> fixed *today*.
>
> I don't see any reasons why this new project is an argument.  Can
> you list some real problems (better for python >= 2.5)?

One of them is for example that sympy.mpmath has received 13 patches
since the last release of mpmath 0.17 over 2 years ago:

ondrej@eagle:~/repos/sympy/sympy/mpmath(master)$ git shortlog -ns
--since="February 2011" . | wc -l
13

Some of these are important fixes, which are needed for sympy to work
or test correctly. There is a reason
for each of these patches. As far as I know we try to push these
patches to mpmath as well, but
it's quite a lot of work to create a new release, for example right
now we are struggling to get out a new release
of sympy. At the moment we don't seem to have the manpower to also
manage a release of another external project (mpmath). It's extremely
important to manage hard dependencies well. If we are going to depend
on some project, it needs to be well supported project with lots of
developers. At the moment, the best way to manage it is inside sympy.

The projects like binstar (see the link above) allow more people to
create binaries and my hope is that it will become easier to release
and ship binaries for all architectures.

Some of these problems have been greatly explained in the blog post
that I posted into the issue, but let me re-post it for others:

http://vagabond.github.io/2013/06/21/z_packagers-dont-know-best/

There is another big problem, that I hadn't mentioned before. At the
moment, you can use git bisect and go into history of sympy and easily
figure out if something broke. The moment we start depending on
mpmath, and we commit just one fix that breaks sympy (by adding it to
mpmath directly and creating a new release), the git bisect stops
working, and different sympy git hashes will depend on different
versions of mpmath. That will be a huge nightmare.

Another issue, mentioned by Fredrik in the issue is that currently
mpmath is tested with sympy. This way it gets great testing on various
architectures and receives lots of fixes from us, just browse some of
the commits. Since we hard-depend on mpmath, we need it to be in great
shape, and it is, because it is in sympy. Once we leave it aside, it
stops being tested so much.

Ondrej