>Still searching for meaningful comments,

Okay, here are my comments - you can decide for yourself how meaningful they
are.

1. I like the advertising idea.  Getting the general public to know who the
track athletes are beyond Carl Lewis (fading from the public mind), Michael
Johnson (soon to be fading from the public mind), and Marion Jones can only
be a good thing.

2. However (there is always a "however"), Marketing focusing personalities
has it's pitfalls.  Remember the "Dan and Dave" ad campaign from 1992?  It
worked magnificently in terms of getting these guys some name recognition
leading up to the Barcelona OG.  But the whole thing quickly turned into a
laughing stock when Dan no-heighted at the trials and whole premise of the
ads promptly turned into ashes.

A Broe vs. Gaucher ad campaign could crater just as easily when one of them
doesn't live up to the hype in some way.  And the whole thing could turn
into an even bigger laughing stock when Broe and Gaucher do their best but
end up finishing in 11th and 12th place in the big showdown race (OG or
whatever) behind a big flock of north and east Africans.  People are gonna
say "What was that all about?".

3.  The answer: I'm sure I don't know.  I don't pretend know anything about
sports marketing.  My best guess would be to promote the personalities but
try to do so in way so that people won't feel lied to if it doesn't all work
out.

Kurt Bray