> I use a tag combination of historic=wayside_cross (or
> _shrine) with natural=tree + species=* etc. and (if applicable) name=*. I
> mapped a lot of these that way.

I think that this kind of mapping is not optimal, because you are mixing
the tree and the cross. The species for instance is referring to the tree,
not to the cross, could still be guessed with high probability by
interpreting the tags with brain1.0, but to where the name refers will
already remain unclear.

Unfortunately there is no nice solution at the moment for situations like
this with nodes. My proposal would be a relation type for nodes (similar to
a multipolygon it could be a "node" relation, but where the only allowed
geometry member would be a node). This way we could tag stuff that is
mounted on the same pole (or in this case on a tree which is represented by
a node) with distinct objects, sort out the layering (layer=0, layer=1,
etc.) and remove any kind of ambiguity (get a proper object without having
to overlap nodes by moving them very close or some other similar hack).

cheers,
Martin