In the US, most of these sort of things are markers where people died in
accidents. Wikipedia calls them "roadside memorials" (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_memorial), and I guess that might be
the most common term in the US.

"Shrine", to my ears, has a different, more specifically religious
connotation than these memorials--see the examples at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine  I wouldn't use shrine to describe a
marker where someone died unless it was a saint, or it was for people who
literally worshiped ancestors.