On 09.07.2014 20:15, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
> In the US, most of these sort of things are markers where people died in
> accidents. Wikipedia calls them "roadside memorials"
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_memorial), and I guess that might be
> the most common term in the US.

These exist here in Austria as well, mostly as crosses with the names of the
victims on them. We have no special term for them, we just call them crosses.

> "Shrine", to my ears, has a different, more specifically religious
> connotation than these memorials--see the examples at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine  I wouldn't use shrine to describe a
> marker where someone died unless it was a saint, or it was for people who
> literally worshiped ancestors.

Both life and death were strongly connected to religion in our past
centuries. When a beloved person was killed, the bereaved built a cross or
shrine to remember and pray for the soul of the victim. When a person
escaped a dangerous situation (e.g. a war), he also donated a cross or
shrine to thank god. These range from simple paintings depicting Mary to
monstruous artworks with statues of saints and angels or the holy trinity
etc.  I often ask myself whether to tag them as historic=wayside_shrine or
tourism=artwork or both or even as historic=monument. Anyway, all of those
tags are approved and in use. I started this thread because I wanted to know
if there's a common term in English for shrines mounted at trees, and if
this term is "tree shrine". Concluding this thread, it is not. Shrines seem
so uncommon in English speaking countries that there couldn't evolve a
fine-grained terminology respecting the mounting point. Therefore, I just
changed the wiki accordingly.