    *From:* Dave Swarthout <mailto:daveswarth...@gmail.com>
    *To:* Tag discussion, strategy and related tools
    <mailto:tagging@openstreetmap.org>
    *Sent:* Monday, October 09, 2017 9:35 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [Tagging] airstrip vs runway

    Just to add some observations about Alaska to this conversation.
    Alaska has hundreds of long strips whose surface is gravel or
    grass long ago cleared of woods and brush that served as landing
    strips for small airplanes. The small airplane is almost as common
    in rural Alaska as automobiles are in other areas. That's a bit of
    an exaggeration but as I scan the satellite imagery I'm constantly
    amazed at the sheer number of these landing strips that are
    scattered here and there. And if one checks the USGS Topo maps as
    I do while adding geographical features to Alaska, one can see
    where airstrips existed in the past but when inspecting the
    location with satellite imagery, no trace of them can be found.
    Years ago, airplane and airport aficionados using sources such as
    "ourairports.com <http://ourairports.com>", have added hundreds
    (thousands?) of them to OSM as though they were actual airports.

    I also add an admission that, not being aware of any other tagging
    or any need for differentiation as to type, I've mapped dozens of
    these as runways, sometimes adding a surface tag, other times not.

    But they are surely different than one would expect to find at a
    "real" airport facility. The more remote variety offer no
    services, not even fuel, and are suitable for use by small planes
    only (bush planes). Many are abandoned or in need of maintenance.
    I would not want to give the erroneous impression that these
    runways are actually the same sort of beast an official airport
    provides.

    I think therefore that there is a definite need to tag such
    landing strips differently.

    AlaskaDave

    On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de
    <mailto:o...@imagico.de>> wrote:

        On Monday 09 October 2017, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

        > I am not aware that OSM in any way defines what an
        “aircraft” is.

        > Why is “aircraft” objective and verifiable, but “airport” is
        not?

        Now discussion is drifting into the ridiculous.

        Depending on your perspective it can obviously be considered
        inherently
        impossible to fully define the meaning of every word of a language
        using just words of this language.  The purpose of verbal
        definitions
        is to create a consistent framework of interrelationships
        between the
        words that allows you to interpret them in a way that is
        consistent
        with other users of the language and identify misinterpretations
        because they create inconsistencies.

        You used the term 'airport' in a segregative way, i.e. to
        distinguish
        between runway-like features on an airport and runway-like
        features on
        a non-airport.  The use of the term 'aircraft' is merely
        descriptive.
        It does not not aim to distinguish runways from non-runways
        (runway
        tagging according to the definition for example can be equally
        used for
        runways for manned and unmanned aircrafts).

        So even if you have no real idea what an aircraft is you will
        probably
        be able to mostly map runways correctly based on that
        definition using
        your understanding of the terms 'air' and 'craft'.

        And in general you should as much as possible be able to
        decide on tags
        based on *local* observations.  If the same runway-like
        feature needs
        to be tagged differently depending on if it is located within an
        airport of not (by whatever definition of airport) that is not
        a very
        good idea for tagging.  A mapper is for example very likely
        able to
        reliably identify a "strip of land on which aircraft can take
        off and
        land" from high resolution imagery but specific classification
        of the
        area this strip is located in can be much less reliable.

        --
        Christoph Hormann
        http://www.imagico.de/

-- Dave Swarthout