On 10-Oct-17 02:24 AM, Janko Mihelić wrote:
I'm in favor of airstrips, but I would make airstrip a subcategory of runway. So tagging an airstrip as runway is not wrong if you don't know any better.

Anyway, is there a way to know if a runway is an airstrip from aerial photos? Is grass surface enough to make something an airstrip? Does this depend on the country/region? What if a grassy runway has a big light that helps landing, is it a runway then? What if there is a very small fee to land there. What's the line between them?

Janko

If the surface is the deciding factor from 'airstrip' to 'runway' then simply use the 'surface=*' tag rather than have a new tag that has the only difference being the surface. Fee? there is a tag for that too .. fee=*, you could also have a maxweight= tag too .. but these things are all property tags - they should not cause a new aeroway tag.