Hello all,

> From: Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com <mailto:marc.ge...@gmail.com>>
>
> There was a long discussion on the Dutch forum awhile back [1]
> I tried to convince them not to use landuse=village_green for hedges,
> plants, flowers etc. in town centers. I believe the consensus was they
> would still use it for that purpose, especially, since the
> UK-community also does this [2]

Not only there was a long discussion on the Dutch forum, but also on the
tagging list:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2017-January/030788.html
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2017-January/030788.html>

And with respect to the use of the wiki it is noted in the above discussion
that the wiki: “describes what we tag” and not "how we should tag”.
The same problem arises when tagging highways, as in many countries there are
different legal consequences with respect to the various different highways.
Should we come up with a tagging like highway:uk=primary and also
highway:es=primary because there might be differences?

Let’s keep it simple and stick with one tag (village_green), keep the way is is
rendered and explain the different uses in the wiki.

Also interesting to note on this wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vegetation
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vegetation>
Where it has:
landuse=village_green: “An open area of grass in the centre of an English
village.”
Actually this states that village_green is only for use inside the UK!
Which leads to the conclusion that outside of the UK, “an open area of grass in
the centre of the village”  _may not_ be called a village_green.
OSM is there to map the world, not the UK only!

And in this wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dvillage_green
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=village_green>

We read:
"In Spain the tag has been used consensually to map Paseos: often rather
different in appearance to English village greens, but sharing the functional
purpose of a common shared space for inhabitants and their activities."

Please also note that I’m the one that added the (other) different uses to that
wiki and also included the pictures to show this different use because (as a
result of the discussion on our forum [1] ) we agreed:

1. If it is grass: tag it as grass
2. if it is a tree: tag it as a tree
3. if it is a hedge: tag it as a hedge
4. if it is a park: tag it as a park
5. if it is a flowerbed: tag it as a flowerbed

And only in the situation that we have:
"all kinds of mixed vegetation (plants, bushes, flowers, small trees, grass),
mostly in urban areas, very often maintained by the Municipality. "
we tag it with village_green.

Regards,

Marc Zoutendijk.