Am 14.02.2019 um 19:51 schrieb Tobias Zwick:
This is, by the way, a bit of a different topic now, because the thread
was originally about tagging foot=yes on residential, not whether
foot=yes/no is limited to a *legal* access restriction. Anyway:

I doubt access restrictions are used that way in reality.

In my experience they are mostly. Granted, the legal interpretation might be stretched a bit sometimes.

Same with Germany/UK. Some posters mentioned, that on any road without a
sidewalk and without an explicit access restriction for pedestrians,
pedestrians are allowed. Okay, that is new to me, but if this is true,
then this is also a case where the law (massively) diverges from the
actual reality on the ground. I am sure the police would find something
else to charge you with when you take a walk on for example this busy
intersection https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/188015324 , like,
hindrance of traffic. Note that the road authority also did not bother
to put any signs there [*]
(Google Streetview:
https://www.google.de/maps/@53.5483485,10.0055799,3a,73y,176.82h,81.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBSZx5A6MNVRKd0qN6MIanQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
)

Incidentally, that section is also tagged with foot=no.

Well, IANAL but I guess this whole intersection gordian knot could be interpreted as being one street and pedestrians are still rquired by German law to use the circumferencing footways and not the several carriageways.

I have no statistics up my sleeve, but I firmly believe that this is no
exception, because, common sense.

I'm with you here regarding the tunnels. Around here I have seen "no pedestrians" signs at tunnel entrances, there are non around your example street. So while legally it might be ok to walk there I would also tend to foot=no them.

[*] And exactly these situations were the ones I had in mind when
designing the discussed quest for StreetComplete, by the way.

Still, they are the very minority of situations where a residential (or any other road) has no sidewalk. In my view the negative impact of the many, many foot=yes set by the quest outweighs the benefit of finding the few exceptions to the rule. As suggested somewhere else maybe you should try to limit the quest to bridges, tunnels or where there is already a bicycle=no.