On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 11:47, pangoSE <pang...@riseup.net> wrote:

> Does it matter what I as a swede think?

Perhaps.  It depends how you answer my question below. :)

Names are (in my view) socially constructed and constantly agreed upon by
> the users of the language. I don't speak Swiss High German so I'm not
> really in a position to judge what to call this city in that language. IMO
> OSM is not a suitable place for speakers of Swiss High German

 [...]

Does the dialect of Swedish you speak have different names for various
well-known locations in the world that differ from the names used by people
living there?  English does.  We use Germany for Deutschland.  We use Roma
for Rome.  We use Switzerland for Helvetica.  Etc.  The French use Londres
for London and Royaume Uni for the United Kingdom.

If we English speakers are looking at a map of the world, we prefer to see
our own names for places.  The media here don't report an earthquake in Roma
but an earthquake in Rome.  They don't report a general strike in
Deutschland
but a general strike in Germany.  They don't report an avalanche in
Helvetica
but an avalanche in Switzerland.  So if we're interested in seeing on a map
where those places are we'd like to see them in English, not names we're
unfamiliar with.  I have no idea what Sverige is, but I've heard of Sweden.

OTOH, if we're tourists we'd like the option to see both.  I want to go to
Munich from Berlin but I can't find Munich on the map because it's
showing the German name.  But if the map shows only English names
(where available) I don't know what to look for on road signs.

You might also want to consider different orthographies.  Even if you
use the same word (phonetically) for Mecca that Saudi Arabians do,
could you find the place on a map where it is labelled مَكَّةُ

-
Paul