On 14/12/2009, at 12:10 PM, Stephen Hope wrote:
> I'm looking for some guidance on tagging for "Sports Clubs".  I'm not
> sure if these are an Australian wide thing, or just a QLD invention.

They're definitely not a QLD thing, but I think they are a very Australian
thing. As well as sports clubs, you have the Surf Life Saving Clubs, RSLs and
so on. Although a lot only have one bar and restaurant, there are a lot that
are much bigger - if I recall correctly, the Bankstown RSL has something like 6
or 8 restaurants in it.

> I'm talking about the buildings that are run by (or for), are named
> after, and support a sports club or organisation, but actually don't
> have any thing to do with sport at that point.  They're really a
> restaurant, bar, and gambling location.  Theoretically, they are
> members only, but I've never seen anybody turned away, somebody will
> sign them in.
>
> What tags are people using for these?

I asked this a while back (possibly on IRC not on the list) and no-one really
knew. In some cases, particularly SLSCs, the original purpose would still be
very useful to have marked, in that case because it tells you where the
patrolled part of the beach will be near.

For the really big ones, marking the building with the name, and putting
various amenity=* inside it might be good.