I've said all this before:  while editing relations in iD is technically
possible, it is tedious and difficult in the opinion of many.  A great many
existing relations have also been broken by people using iD (I can't count how
many I have personally experienced).  I find editing relations with iD to also
be a "nightmare," but I don't want to so viciously disparage iD, even as I do
want to discourage others from using it as a reliable, suitable, comfortable,
intuitive relation editor.  (It is not).

That said, if you are going to edit relations (from this thread:  streams,
waterways, coastlines, islands...but also many other more-sophisticated and
complex-structured data) within OSM, please do so using an editor that strongly
supports good relation editing.  I use JOSM and recommend it, though I realize
that JOSM is not everybody's cup of tea, either.

Think:  if you know nodes, ways and tags, but not relations, yet you want to
edit data properly entered into OSM using relations (and which should ONLY be
entered into OSM using relations), you must be able to edit relations.  And do
so well, without more than the occasional minor error.  OSM is not your sandbox
for practice learning how to edit relations (poorly), though you are likely to
do exactly that (in my opinion) using the iD editor to edit relations.  The map
does not benefit by sloppy relations being entered by iD (or any editor).

Learn the basics of OSM.  Next, learn "about" relations (their structure,
conventions, the differing flavors of them...).  THEN learn HOW to edit
relations using an editor that supports editing relations well, such as JOSM.
Though JOSM has a learning curve, it is worth it.  I do not consider iD to be a
strong editor for relations, these are my opinions.  Thank you for reading.