Hey Joost,

On 01-06-16 16:19, joost schouppe wrote:
> Well, it depends on your definition of vastly :)

very true... 100 meters would be vast imho. A difference of 5 meters I
would think that is pretty much ok, although the importance of that can
be big when borders cross buildings.

> (I haven't looked at the size of the differences yet)
>
> I was talking about municipal borders (admin_level=8), postal codes as
> in your example are a wholly different beast, one I wouldn't want to
> tackle right now.

I know it's not level 8, but it doesn't matter what a boundary
represents, I had the Overpass query saved (it's ok to just call me
lazy, not stupid ;-) ! )

All fun aside, in essence: it's really the same, a relation of ways that
have stuff attached.  admin levels are just a label representing concepts.

> But yes, they have a lot of things sticking to them too.

More important: remember that those boundaries usually align on each
other, so when you make a admin level 8 smaller, you -probably- also
need to modify all others as well. e.g.  If you make north border of
Antwerp smaller, you probably need to make Belgium smaller too, AND the
province etc.  probably even from level 1 down to 9 if you want to do
this well.  At the least we will need to verify them to make sure.

GRB data actually has border information if I remember correctly.  some
of their map layers (tiles) show the level 8 boundary (a very fine line
though, almost invisible).

Glenn