> What is the authority for this? Who is the boss about where a municipality
> ends? Can it be copied from there? Intuitively I'd think those official
> borders should not be able to be copyrighted.

The data for Flanders is available [1] through Agiv, I mean The
Organisation Formerly Known as AGIV. It comes with the Gratis Open Data
Licentie, which we decided is safe to use.

I would think the real authority is found in paper archives in municipal
basements. One day the community boundaries will stop being "voorlopig" in
the file offered by TOFKAGIV, and then that file will probably become the
only and official truth. For now, a big cleanup looks unnecesary, but where
small errors on our side cause problems, we can use the Agiv dataset as a
reference for fixes.

1:
https://www.agiv.be/news/2016/februari/update-voorlopig-referentiebestand-gemeentegrenzen