Hi,

Kevin Peat wrote:
> This whole wikipedia comparison seems bogus to me.  Kids use wikipedia to do
> their homework, people don't trust their lives to it like they do with maps
> every day of the week.  I've used an OS map many times to navigate
> across Dartmoor in bad weather.  I would like to do the same with an OSM map
> but I don't want to end up falling into a quarry because of some idiot's
> vandalism.

Then don't use OSM. Seriously. If you want something with all the checks
in place to blindly trust it with your life (and, I guess, want someone
you can sue if you fall into a quarry and live to tell the story), then
don't use OSM. But don't ruin our project by demanding that we aim to
fill this role. Before long you'll say that "if OSM wants to be taken
seriously they must implement ISO 9001".

> I don't think that putting some basic restrictions on newbies for a few
> weeks (maybe just being able to add POI's or raise bugs on existing work)
> would discourage people who really want to get involved

Those who "really want to get involved" are already involved, at least
in most of Europe. We're extending our reach towards those whose
involvement can perhaps be described as casual. The time of people who
singlehandedly map their town is mostly over. We have to lower the
barrier of entry, not build additional obstacles.

> but it would stop
> random kids from signing up and immediately screwing up months of other
> people's efforts.

Oh yeah, and let's also get their addresses and hang them! I am amazed
at how much hostility this Liam123 is able to provoke.

We must improve our means to detect and deal with vandalism, not circle
the wagons and make participation more difficult for the > 99% of
well-meaning users just because there's < 1% of killjoys. That would be
the worst thing we could do.

Bye
Frederik