On 08/08/18 13:54, Colin Smale wrote:
There are plenty of examples of "former" objects in OSM - closed pubs, railway alignments etc. They are only still there because they are perceived to have some kind of relevance in the present day. Can a case be made that these historic counties are still "relevant" today?

I'm listening to the steam trains pulling in and out of Broadway station at the moment. This was a 'disused' line and there was talk about removing that sort of data from OSM. The line out of Broadway goes on north and still has a designated use of 'disused railway'. I don't know if the line will ever be extended, but in some peoples minds it's on the cards as it could eventually link to Stratford Upon Avon. That end of the line has now been built on so a new terminus would have to stop short, but knowing where the line used to run through that house estate is interesting to some.

Even a pub has a place in the tracking of genealogical data and if one has some means of showing a current map with the location of previous events it's a useful tool. OHM is trying to do that, but since every change in OSM has to be mirrored to OHM I find this very counter productive ... YES there is a need for separate layers of data such as the battles of the second world war, but all should have a single base in OSM and where key parts of the two combine, the current OSM map continues to display them. Purely using OSM data to show the development of a town over time potentially needs very little 'historic' data other then 'start_date' ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL