On 2014-10-05 20:58, Marc Gemis wrote:
You'll beat us on numbers, that's true.

Maybe the problem that I see is not so much the imports, but the
maintenance of all that data (imported or manually added).

Who is going to see all those mistakes, changes, etc. when all the
data is there ? The one that I saw was a building in a forest. That's
easy to spot when it is demolished. But how will you notice that the
shape of a building is incorrect when there are thousands of
buildings?

How will you do this if there has been no import? I see no difference in maintaining OSM data after import or after manual mapping. In both cases the environment can change and it will only be changed in OSM if someone notices.

The only difference is that after an import there is more data. If you think maintaining more data is a bad thing, then we all have to stop entering in OSM.

At this moment, most communities are still adding data, the Dutch
import  speeds up this process, so the Dutch community will be in the
next phase before the others. You can rely on other parties (BAG) for
the updates, but will they catch mistakes ? The building I'm talking
about is demolished 2 or 3 years ago. Why was the BAG not updated yet
? Will people be looking for mistakes when all data seems to be there
?

Again, I see no difference with manually entered data. There too you can have features that are years out of date. If no one notices, it is no problem. If a mapper notices it, it will be fixed.

So the challenge is to find people that want to find those mistakes.
Less interesting than adding new data.
I'm looking forward to see how the Dutch community is going to tackle
this.

As said: the same as now. If you are not interested in maintaining the data you entered then that data will be outdated too. I'm just so glad we have a nice map in the Netherlands where I only need to fix minor things so I can spend time mapping somewhere else.

Regards,
Maarten