I'm really intrigued by this conversation.

Neighborhood identity is subjective - collectively defined by residents and
stakeholders (businesses, and other organizations) within and outside of
the neighborhood as well as governments, politicians, and the media.
Nonetheless, I believe they belong in OpenStreetmap because they are an
important part of capturing what may not physically be on the ground but
the name is represented in discussion and the neighborhood may have
characteristics unique to its bordering neighborhoods (housing types, types
of businesses, socioeconomic status, local business types, and obviously,
local geographic features - lakes, rivers, etc)

Given the subjective, fluid nature of neighborhoods - especially boundaries
- where one neighborhood ends and one begins - may change from person to
person, they are best represented as a single node in the area where there
is greatest consensus that the neighborhood is located. This can be very
roughly estimated by OSM mappers who locally live in or near the area.

stevea,
Great work that you've done in your area with the neighborhood
classification.

I would just caution that deriving Neighborhood boundaries solely from the
governments could be problematic because they don't represent the other
stakeholders (mentioned earlier) and in the case of Cleveland, Ohio,
neighborhood names designated by city planners are used mostly for planning
purposes and have little influence on neighborhood identity reality on the
ground.

As darrell just mentioned, soliciting people to draw their neighborhoods
has been done in Boston by Andy Woodward as well as Bill Morris in
Burlington, Vt.

As for tagging, as I understand, based on existing practice and previous
discussions -
lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-August/001437.html and
lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2008-December/000594.html
, neighborhoods within municipal limits, place=suburb is actually the most
appropriate based on the tag's description in the wiki and d.
place=neighbourhood was for smaller, distinct areas that would be
considered to be within an existing neighborhood (place=suburb) but also be
referred to by and additional name as well.
An example of this in Cleveland would be Gordon Square within the
Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood.

Regarding Zillow, I'd hesitate to import them but only because of my very
limited experience of them (being Akron and Cleveland) where their
neighborhood names were derived from local government data sets and in both
cases were
quite outdated and were representing the reality for most within Cleveland.

Regards,
Will