I'm mostly with you on this, except, for the four lower classes, which generally speaking the following observations with tagging have been true:

Interstate/Freeway (only): Motorway
Expressway (only): Trunk

As I read the wiki, there are multiple wiki sections (not just the HFCS page) that indicate that the trunk tag is *NOT* exclusively applied to limited access roads. e.g. the "US" entry in this table -- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrunk#International_equivalence

Surface expressway: A relatively high-speed divided road (at least 40 MPH with a barrier or median separating each direction of traffic), with a limited amount of intersections and driveways; **or** a major intercity highway. This includes many U.S. Highways (that do not parallel an Interstate) and some state highways.

[emphasis added]

Generally speaking, that's the TL;DR of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging

To me, "unpaved" includes gravel surfaced roads (which is the predominant surface type of non-state highways in rural Kansas). I'm not inclined to mark every gravel road in Kansas as 'track'