I decided to use my county and just go retag a bunch of roads. Most of
the roads outside of the city that aren't highways were still
highway=residential from the TIGER import. I found this map on the
KDOT website (which I have permission to use as a source):
http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/burTransPlan/maps/county-pdf/riley.PDF

I went through and upgraded all roads marked as "Minor collectors" and
"Major collectors" from residential to tertiary. The result can best
be seen at zoom level 12:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1070359#map=12/39.4386/-96.7724

There are a few places where I diverged from the map a bit. For
example the city of Riley has no collectors marked on the KDOT map but
I still bumped the main road through it to highway=tertiary. There
were a couple of places where I didn't really think an upgrade to
tertiary was warranted but at the time I just went with it anyway. I
may go back and do some tweaking.

Overall I feel like this makes a reasonable road network. While
editing, I could often (although not always) see a visual difference
between the roads marked as collectors and those marked as "local
roads" on the KDOT map so it kind of provided a secondary source to
justify differing classifications.

Thoughts?