Richie Kennedy wrote:
> As to Mr. Fairhurst’s comment regarding routing, I’ll remind you
> it is frowned upon to tag for a routing engine.

Given that Mr Fairhurst has been involved in OSM since month 4 in 2004, he
is quite aware of what is frowned upon and what isn't, but he thanks you for
your kind, if slightly patronising, concern.

Following international common practices is not tagging for the router, or
the renderer, or the autonomous self-guided robot or whatever. It is an
essential part of a mass collaborative project, and is the only way from
preventing OSM descending into an anarchy of local exceptions.

It is universal that, in developed countries such as the US, Canada or any
part of Western Europe, a highway=secondary is assumed paved _unless_ a
surface (or similar) tag is used.

Piling up local exceptions justified by obscure wiki pages (and, to be
honest, you can justify classifying US roads any old way given the morass of
contradictory wiki pages) makes for data that no-one can sanely use. I
probably do more post-processing of highway tags than anyone else and even I
draw the line at "if (highway=='secondary' && last_editor=='route56') {
surface=UNKNOWN; } else { surface=PAVED; }". This is a collaborative
project; it only works if we pull in the same direction.

Richard