A longer version (I'll try). I assume we all agree that overlapping
or not reaching polygons where there is adjacency on the ground is
wrong. So how can we properly express adjacency? The simple way is
to run two polygons through the same subset of nodes. The advanced
is to separate this subset into a single line, which will now
belong to two multipolygons. I will try to convince you that using
advanced is easier, when it comes to "heavy" objects, like landuse=
or natural=. Imagine someone has mapped a forest, with a good
detail, precisely following its border with a farmland. Now you
want to map this farmland. In the simple way you need to follow
all nodes your predessor had drawn, clicking all the nodes, be it
25 nodes or 100. In the advanced way, you don't. You instantly
reuse his line for your new polygon. This was a most typical example
of benefits that advanced multipolygons provide.

I use them for this all the time.