On 20/11/2017 23:30, Ian Dees wrote:

Please remember to stay on topic and friendly. This thread seems to be drifting off into a discussion about the merits of OSM editors.

Well, my comment about editors wasn't supposed to be offtopic, since the question of data being "... far easier to understand and maintain, especially for novice mappers" was one of the points raised at the very top of the thread.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that in each of iD, P2* and JOSM (without plugins) it's possible to swap without too much difficulty between the two relations and the constituent ways at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.62063/-121.90621  P2's internal visualiser fails with the park visualisation though, and I can't see a way to select the marine nature reserve without deliberately selecting the "relations this way is a member of" at the left, so I'm still not convinced that this area is as newbie-friendly as it was before.

Best Regards,
Andy

* if you are surprised by this perhaps you haven't looked at one or another editor for a while - it might be worth revisiting.