Copyright law cannot prohibit the manual reconstruction of
publically-available information any more than what it can control an
internet search engine like https://www.duckduckgo.com from indexing and
serving that information when you do a web search. There is,
consequently, no legal problem at all in looking at information on e.g.
the official Gautrain bus map, and updating OpenStreetMap based on this.

Gerhardus' method is more in the "spirit of OpenStreetMap" though - as
OSM frowns upon the copying of information from commercial or
proprietary sources.
Ultimately - nobody will even know: there is no
legalistically-distinguishable difference between adding something
because you were there, vs adding something because you saw it on
another map. (Obviously you should only add things to the map that you
have verified actually exists.)

When I added the gautrain bus routes that I have actually travelled on,
I still used the official gautrain bus map as a reference: to correlate
the positioning and get the metadata (stop numbers, etc). Nobody can
prove which one I used "more" though - their map, or my on-the-ground
observation.

I wouldn't worry too much. Grant needs to worry more, now that he's
added a "state secret" (Nkandla) to the map :-)

--
Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>

Op Do, 2013-11-21 om 20:46 +0000 skryf Gerhardus Geldenhuis: