Ben Laenen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Of course not, green trunk roads and blue motorways don't make a lot of
> sense in 99% of the world. It makes sense in the UK, where this project
> happens to have started, so now that it became a true worldwide
> project, why can't we give other countries the same "privilege" of
> having own colour schemes for their road network that make sense in
> that country?

Whether something makes sense depends more on the viewer of the map
than on map data.  A UK viewer probably expects motorways to be blue
reagardless whether that motorway is in the UK or elsewhere.  I would
not want a motorway to change color on the French/German border just
because differen coloring styles are common in France and Germany.

How does a UK printed map of France look like?

> But it should have a "consistent" look of course, meaning that the
> differences for each country are very small, and mostly involves some
> icons or highway types, and things like highway number colours.

Other things need to be localized to the area that is shown on the
map.  It does not make much sense to put US Interstate numbers on blue
Autobahn shields for example.

Matthias