> And I think the discussion of committees to decide or better voting is a
> hiding to nothing so long as a sizeable proportion of the community
> doesn't believe in it, as they'll just carry on doing what they've
> always done. They've stopped even contributing to these discussions,
> they just get on with it.

Agreed. But we do have the ability to edge people in the right
direction. I for instance will happily use the presets in JOSM and
Potlatch because I am lazy. However neither really has any convention
to go on with many features, and it's the preference of the
developers. Same for QA tools such as KeepRight.

Having a body of people that openly discuss, and whose decision is
acted on by third parties would at least provide accepted standards
and some stability to the dataset. This isn't to say anything is set
in stone, but provides a clear reference.

Those that wish to carry on can, will, and should. There will be many
situations that have not yet been thought about and it's better to get
those features in, and then worry about tagging. Something others
disagree with understandably but most tags are readable by humans if
not complete or systematic. (ie amenity=grave_yard, landuse=grave_yard
could be understood to be the same, however I can see bicycles etc
provide a clear problem).

Having a board to vote will at least provide a clear system that
people can participate in and get adequate representation. It would be
clearly documented so those that wanted a change in presets etc would
have to present an application to the board. I certainly do not want
the board deciding what the data in the database should look like, but
just make it known what is preferred.

There will be a counter-culture of those that disagree with the boards
decisions, and want to carry on with their methods. However I expect
the number of tagging zealots is small compared to the more pragmatic
members. I change my tagging methods quite a lot, when I believe a
better method has arrived, but I won't necessarily go back and alter
my previous work. The crowd-source model allows someone else to change
is for me.

I can see this idea dying a death, but I'd like to talk about it at
say SOTM etc and see what support it gets from there.

Ciarán