So, after talking about my ideas for an OpenStreetView project at SOTM way back in July I've finally got things together enough to launch a site. I announced it on pho...@openstreetmap.org a few days ago to get some initial opininos but I think it's time to get a few more people looking at it. It does seem to be running a bit slow and I didn't have a huge amount of success with processing large numbers of photos earlier today but I want to get more images live on it by the time I give a talk about it on Thursday morning so I'll give you all a chance to get uploading. Please take a look at the email below for more instructions, it's definitely not perfect but it's functional for some specific uses.

Begin forwarded message:

From: John McKerrell <j...@mckerrell.net>
Date: 20 September 2009 13:15:32 GMT+01:00
To: pho...@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [OSM-Photos] OpenStreetView
<snip>

I think this is the first email on this list so it's quite apt, if a
little late, for me to announce that the OpenStreetView project that I
talked about at State of the Map is finally live. It's still very
basic and only covers parts of what I talked about then but I think it
has potential.

To try it out, head over to http://openstreetview.org/

You'll need to sign up for an account, verify your email address and
then log in. Once in you will be able to upload photos either by
uploading individual files in a web form or by creating an FTP account
and FTPing files up. Obviously it would be nice to allow other
methods, they will come later.

Once you've uploaded files you'll have to wait a minute or so for them
to be processed, then you need to go to "your" homepage (click on your
username) where you can check the thumbnails to make sure you uploaded
the right files, then you will push the images on to moderation. You
can moderate them yourself which entails masking out any faces or
license plates or anything you think might be a privacy problem, once
you're happy click on the "Mark as: Safe" link and save your changes.
It will confirm you're happy marking it as safe and then hide the
images ready for you to request some more. Once three people
(potentially including you) have marked them as safe they will be made
available on the map on the front page for anyone to view, there's
also a basic KML feed. Even if you don't have files to upload it would
be useful for you to go on there anyway and moderate the photos I've
already uploaded and any that anyone else uploads.

Currently you can't geotag images within the site so you'll need to do
it before you upload, the site will read the exif headers.
<snip>

FYI I'll be talking about this at the AGI conference in Stratford- upon-
Avon in the UK this week, I'd love there to be as many photos as
possible available for viewing by then :-)

Finally, the code is all open source, I've stuck it in github to
hopefully make it really easy for people to contribute back. You can
sign up for an account for free, clone the OpenStreetView repository,
make changes and then request that I take the changes into the main
code, which I'll be happy to do. I'm really hoping this is something
that will interest people and that they will get involved in extending
the code to get some more features in. If you want to take a look, you
can find it here: http://github.com/johnmckerrell/OpenStreetView

Please take a look and let me know you're thoughts, it's pretty basic
at the moment and I'm sure there's lots of bugs, but hopefully it's
going to be of some use pretty soon.

John