This is a great idea, but why not just use Flickr or some similar photo site
that offers an API for geotagged photos?

The only unique thing we'd need to add is a method of recording the
orientation (X degrees from magnetic north, Y degrees inclination, Z degrees
field of view) of the photo at a given position (if known) so that we can
later build a StreetView-type interface for these images.

Such information could be stored with Flickr's API as machine tags.