Béland Pierre wrote:
2012-09-20 Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>

 > Comment fields are not documented as well as they should be and the 'problem'
that instigated this thread is to my view of what's
 > on line a very good example of why there WAS a problem. Correctly flagging
information is essential and we do perhaps need
 > a little more 'automatic' actions. I can see that the French data is perhaps
not suited to a 'single import' which is then the problem,
 > since multiple imports already processed in some way are just as much a
problem? Lets try and make the 'initial' import as clean
 > as possible even if that has to be to a staging area from which packets can
be taken and manually processed. Identification can
 > then be married back to the raw data in a location where anybody can see it?

Do you mean that documenting well the comment field would be a satisfactory
solution?

In the short term it would help ... if you check the particular commit that caused all this uproar then a few extra words COULD have prevented a problem? I accept now there was a discussion on the French list but how many local lists do we have now? I can't see any reference to 'cadastre import' with reference to that activity but even then I would contest that wiping the original data was still wrong - even if a local group 'approved' it - but I'm not from the camp that prefer 'only current data' ;) Bulk deletes will always attract attention as they should and even if in this case the commit was 'Mistake with merging cadastre import - deleting to allow new data to load' I would expect SOMEONE to be checking that it was right! As others have said, I find the actions taken by DWG totally acceptable as there is no obvious attribution to 'cadastre import' ... which is all that was asked for previously? Alright insisting on a 'new account' may be wrong, but identifying the 'import source' somewhere is not unreasonable? We do have the problem of the 'language' used to inform other users and some English translations on some of the cadastre import stuff would help?

I will add that I am very much opposed to any suggestion that the database should be 'carved up' and managed by different local groups. The DWG is not ideal, and as far as I am aware would welcome some additional help from wherever. But that is the ideal level to oversee the whole picture and in the end arbitrate when groups disagree amongst themselves. How many 'border disputes' will we have if we go down that path?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL