On 2015-05-29 13:34, SomeoneElse wrote:
On 29/05/2015 12:14, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
On 29/05/2015, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
how do we distinguish in the Abergavenny case between the two
established names and the "up to 7,000" (but realistically in the short term a few hundred) translations? That's unfortunately something that
name:xx in OSM doesn't give us currently
You don't distinguish them, and that's fine. There may be many many
more pleople using "Abergavenny" than "Абергавенни", but that doesn't
mean that the name isn't established, at its more limited scale.

I'd say that whether or not a name is actually usable to help navigate
to a place is a pretty important piece of information.  For example,
when processing OSM data for my own use I'll try and drop unsigned
names and refs from roads (there's no point in saying "turn left on
Foo Street" if "Foo Street" does not appear on the sign).

It depends on what you want. When someone asks me to navigate to Natanzon, Haifa how can I enter it when the only name in the map is נתנזון, חיפה?
I don't see why the transliterated name is not important.

Maarten