On 12/09/2015 03:18, Russ Nelson wrote:
Dave F. writes:
  > >   Because when I see a spike, or a lump of coal, or a "road"
  > > which is level where no road needed to be but a railroad did, I map it
  > > as an abandoned railroad.
  >
  > Please give a list of tags you'd use to map the tracks in your photos.

highway=track
railway=abandoned

Which tag takes rendering preference? How is the renderer meant to know?

  exactly how do you say we should tag a highway that
used to be a railway if NOT the above pair?

Why not make it clear to the renderer & use a sub tag as an attribute of the primary track, which is the entity that actually exists on the ground.
Railway & highway are to conflicting primary tags.

If there was no evidence (detritus doesn't count) then I wouldn't map it at all.

OSM is a database of existing entities.

Dave F.

---