> I think you'd be hard pressed to find any area of trees which hasn't been
> managed in one way or another by humans; especially in the Western world.
> Even in the depths of the Amazonian rainforest or Borneo the locals use
> wood for tools/fire/building etc.

isn't there a difference between using the wood that grows naturally
(without being planted) and growing wood for using it?

> Ignoring the landcover argument for a moment, all areas of trees should be
> primarily tagged as natural=wood.

I can't ignore the landcover argument in this context, and still believe
the natural= key should mean: "a geographic feature", not "something
natural" (as opposed to artificial). I would tag a peak with natural=peak
regardless of human intervention, it's a peak.  In this sense, natural=wood
means a "wood", and as not all areas of trees are woods, I'd question this
statement.

> As with other entities, any further details which gives clarity should be
> provided in sub-tags.

as always, all tags should make sense, subtags are for further details, not
to adjust/relativise the meaning of the main tag.

Cheers,
Martin