>>    Fine. Let's say in higher level there is only one "forest". Then my
>> topic moves one layer down and stays exactly the same otherwise.
>>    What I'm talking is about virtual hierarchy.
>>    OSM tagging comes AFTER that.
>
> As I map & tag what I see in reality; could you expand on what you mean by
> "virtual hierarchy"?

  When you create a map (not a GIS database), you start with hierarchy
of objects which you're going to display. After that you specify what
exactly each of those items in the hierarchy is in your datasets. So
in the beginning you define an abstract reason/purpose, only then you
specify technical details (f.e. tags).
  I call this a virtual hierarchy of information.

  I do understand that a number of different approaches currently
exist in OSM. You could look around, see some objects which seem
interesting/important to you and then tag them by your best knowledge
using natural language concepts. And that is a problem, because even
with English speakers those "natural language concepts" are subjective
for a number of different reasons. So when we combine a set of
objects, tagged by different people with different subjective
understanding it is very hard to make a logical system which is
essential for quality use. And it also introduces too much arguing
later as we can see with this ten year long forest topic which is
nowhere close to agreement... even not closer than it was ten years
ago.

--
Tomas