Just as my opinions here don’t represent the osmf board, they don’t represent
Mapbox either.
Personally, I don’t care much about the details of attribution either way. I
love to see it and regularly look for it in every map I come across. I tweeted
this three weeks ago
https://twitter.com/mikel/status/1094603703384973312. I’m also under zero
illusions that anyone else but people in osm notice or care.
As enthusiastic as I am to see osm “in the wild”, I’m irritated by license
shaming. I know, it’s irritating by design. I don’t believe it works and just
casts a bad light of OSM.
The main motivation that triggered this discussion about attribution, is to
paraphrase, that the “no one knows OSM”.
However much OSM is known now, I agree, it should be known more. OSM is the
most interesting story in mapping of the last ten years. There are so many good
stories.
To make sure OSM is known takes a serious communication and marketing strategy,
resources to build relationships with press, etc.
Certainly attribution is important. LWG is working on better guidelines.
Publicly shaming on a regular basis hurts our opportunity to be better known.
Or we become known for being a grumpy underdog.

Mikel