Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Now while everybody is free to use any tag she likes, I would not
> expect the OpenStreetMap-Foundation standard editor to
> introduce new tags through presets.

It's been happening since Potlatch 1 came online in 2007, so you should have
had a few years to get used to it by now...

Writing software is an art, not a mechanical Turk where results of endless
consultations are fed robotically into a Javascript editor. The iD
developers are remarkably responsive to concerns raised about mapping
standards, much more than I ever was as P1/P2 maintainer and, dare I say it,
more than JOSM's maintainers have historically been. That they don't
mindlessly follow bad tagging practices, but think about the impact and
consistency of tagging, is all to their credit.

I don't follow that iD has any particular status because of its default
location on the edit tab: JOSM arguably has more "heft" because its bulk
editing abilities allow people to impose new tags by force of number, not to
mention you 'orrible lot forever bombarding the poor newbie to use JOSM or
else. ;)

cheers
Richard

--