The iD editor team has made a tremendous job so far, and it's probably because some people working together tightly have come up with good ideas, and this is good. However, when such an idea become controversial, it would be good practice  to reach out openly with the wider community and other editors developers, and take the time to do so. But in the end, it's up to them. I don't see an 'Editor software rules working group' be a big success.

On another side, and when it comes to tagging (because it also comes to that), I do understand that somebody wanting to have things done feel irritated by the too few people discussing the matter at length on the tagging list and the wiki. However, these are  communication channels we have, and the people dedicated to it. For a maintainer of iD, to despise these channel for advice or discussion is not helping to gain trust in the development team, a very good way to make these channels worse, and everybody's frustration high.

Yves