The data on these trees is only added if the user consents. Otherwise, it
is not. I am creating an open source app with my team. Licenses are
built-in the app. The GPS accuracy is about 16ft and is calculated from the
phone's GPS (phone location has to be turned on for app functionality; the
user can choose to share location or not). Since the app is open source, I
can not confidently say where all of our users will be distributed when
they capture tree images. I suspect primarily US users capturing trees in
their area. I am happy to answer any questions you may have and will look
into the import process. Also pasting a link to my colleagues discussion
regarding this:
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/osm-tree-automation-worldwide/102197

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 2:35 PM john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to sum up these are trees that you have not personally inspected and
> added to the map but you are relying on a third party for the information
> and you can't be sure exactly where it is from nor how accurate it is?  Nor
> do you have any idea of the license on the data.
>
> Based on my interpretation of your reply, please don't do this.  If you
> must press ahead then at least follow the automated edit rules and go
> through the formal import process including checking the license is
> compatible with OSM.  Many open data licences are not.
>
> Cheerio John
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2023, 14:25 Harsha Somaya <hsomaya2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the link. Answering your question below:
>>
>> 1) what is the source of tree data--- from an open source app that allows
>> users to capture images of trees
>> 2) can you give samples of tree data that would be added?-- an example
>> would be trees that are around my residential house, healthy trees
>> 3) where it would be added-- for now, mainly the US area
>> 4) how you will prevent duplication with existing trees-- code makes sure
>> that no two trees at the same GPS can be added
>> 5) which tags will be used-- species, genus, maybe height, image of tree,
>> maybe wikipedia tree about species, tree type (broadleaf versus not)
>> 6) have you verified quality of data you want to add-- In terms of
>> verify, we make sure it is a healthy tree that has not already been added
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 2:12 PM Mateusz Konieczny via talk <
>> talk@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 1) what is the source of tree data
>>> 2) can you give samples of tree data that would be added?
>>> 3) where it would be added
>>> 4) how you will prevent duplication with existing trees
>>> 5) which tags will be used