Hello! Thank you for your reply. I believe many of your concerns can be
addressed here: OSM Tree Automation Worldwide - Help and support -
OpenStreetMap Community Forum
<https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/osm-tree-automation-worldwide/102197/50>.
No trees have been added to OSM yet. The user will be able to see their
tree point on an imagery basemap. Then can adjust the point/location of the
tree if it is not where it should be on the basemap if needed. As for the
genus information, we are using https://identify.plantnet.org/ - to help
with the plant identification part. They have a state of the art accuracy
of approximately 90% for classifying plants based on plant images alone. We
are not sure if we will upload the images yet because the key we wanted to
use, Key:image - OpenStreetMap Wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:image>, has rejected proposals.
This is something we are debating/willing to add if the community wants.
Hope this helps understand the project a little better.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 6:14 AM Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> from your answers I gather that you're approaching this with a certain
> amount of youthful enthusiasm that could lead to problems. It is good
> that you're discussing your plans so we can iron them out before you
> actually do anything.
>
> On 08.08.23 20:19, Harsha Somaya wrote:
> > 4) how you will prevent duplication with existing trees-- code makes
> > sure that no two trees at the same GPS can be added
>
> You will have to make sure that the tree to be added is not already in OSM.
>
> I do not think that the GPS position alone is good enough to add a tree;
> it is very likely that if you do that, you will add trees in buildings
> and in the middle of roads. I think that it will be necessary for the
> user, when they take the photo of the tree, to also manually move a
> marker on the map to the correct location.
>
> Doing this, if the map is OSM, will put your location data under ODbL.
>
> > 5) which tags will be used-- species, genus, maybe height, image of
> > tree, maybe wikipedia tree about species, tree type (broadleaf versus
> not)
>
> Are species and genus user-specified or will you be trying to determine
> those automatically from the photo? If the latter, I would advise against.
>
> How do you intend to upload the "image of tree" to OSM?
>
> Best
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frede...@remote.org  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"