Saturday, October 16, 1999, 10:21:13 AM, Alexander wrote:
> either Esperanto is not so fonetic you think it is or you haven't
> got the proper pronunciation:-))

    The latter.  Esperanto has 28 letters and 28 base sounds.  1 sound per letter,
obviously.  It also has several other sounds which are made when a small
selection of letters are combined, but nothing as prolific as in English.  In
fact, I think the only sounds which require a different sound and have two
letters are aj, ej, ij, oj, uj, uxj.  Uxj I'm not so sure about.  I've only
studied it off and on for a few weeks of "real-time" in the past 3-4 months.
:/

    Anyway, my name (StEEv) doesn't translate into Esperanto and look the
same.  Stiv/o (Steev/Stee-vo).  So I decided to use Stefan/o
(Steh-fahn/Steh-fah-no) which I think looks closer, flows better in that
language and, gosh darn it, sounds nice.  :)