Hallo Alexander,

On Sunday, October 17, 1999, 6:34:34 AM, Alexander V. Kiselev wrote:

>>     The latter.  Esperanto has 28 letters and 28 base sounds.  1 sound per letter,
>> obviously.  It also has several other sounds which are made when a small
>> selection of letters are combined, but nothing as prolific as in English.  In

AVK> AFAIK, I've once heard a discussion 'bout "Esperanto and
AVK> Russian", and I believe it was said that some modifications to
AVK> Esperanto are needed to match Russian pronunciation.
AVK> Russian is in fact much "write as you hear it" language (well,
AVK> actually Byellorussian language *is* exactly, but in Russian
AVK> there exist heaps of local dialects, so... but the overall idea is
AVK> that, as I get it). So well, 33 symbols, 31 "basic" sounds, plus 2
AVK> symbols to achieve "special effects" like to make this particular
AVK> consonant softer or harder. Can't get how you fit it all into 28
AVK> characters (even with modifiers).

I really don't know why everybody thinks all langauges of the world
should be squeezed into the English alphabet. Look at Vietnamese: it
looks awful now! And really, even though they use 28 latin letters,
they still have to mke "special effects" and at the end, you still
don't know how to pronounce it. How do you pronounce this "o" with the
little tick-mark? No, every language has the alphabet/character set
most suitable for it. And why not?

AVK> Damn it, I still cannot force myself to pronounce
AVK> "pronunciation" correctly......

<g>

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366 Mhz, 128MB RAM